VITRINE Gallery is commissioning a series of outdoor sculptures to be exhibited in Bermondsey Square, south London. Each project will last around six months. The aim of this project is to give emerging/mid-career artists the opportunity to create exciting new work for a public space.
The first sculpture, Synapsid by Karen Tang, launched in October 2014 and will be on show until March 2015. The second commission by Edwin Burdis will run from March to September 2015. The third commission will be by an IdeasTap member – their work will be on show from September 2015 to February 2016.
Working in collaboration with local and national partners, VITRINE is inviting IdeasTap members to submit a proposal. There is no overall theme for this commission – and it is free to submit an application.
The winner will receive…
- £3,000 to cover fabrication and transport costs
- £800 artist’s fee
- The opportunity to deliver a day-long sculpture workshop alongside engagement manager Claire Cooke – the brief winner will receive a £200 fee
- The opportunity to work with a structural engineer on technical development
- Mentoring from VITRINE and Pangaea Sculptors’ Centre
- Valuable exposure of their practice via VITRINE and Sculpture At Bermondsey Square’s partners’ networks
- Publicity in art and local/national/international press
- The opportunity to discuss their practice at Sculpture at Bermondsey Square’s Public Sculpture Symposium (summer 2015)
- Featured in Sculpture at Bermondsey Square catalogue publication
For more information go to the IdeasTap website.
This brief closes on Tuesday 31 March 2015 at 5pm and is open to IdeasTap members aged 18 and over who are resident in the UK.